This is what happens if a dog eats chocolate..

Okey,so this is exactly what can happen if a dog eats too much chocolate..in my previous posts i explained it carefully what NOT TO give chocolate for dogs, even if they like it, please watch this video and DO NOT EVER give choco for dogs..there are some great pet snacks what are healthy and they also love it.

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

What happens if a dog eats chocolate?

You might be wondering “ what happens if a dog eats chocolate?”. How much chocolate is toxic for dogs? If you have pet dogs at home, you might know that you need to take utmost precautions about the food that they can eat. While you will find that there are many potential toxins and food stuffs that are poisonous to your dogs, one of them is chocolate that is readily available at home. Chocolates can be pretty risky especially during Christmas, Easter, Halloween or any other holidays where we find chocolates to be around everywhere one turns and also if you have children at home who loves chocolates.

What happens if a dog eats chocolate

You might have heard that chocolates can make dogs sick, but most of us do not know the reason behind it. It is important to understand how chocolate can affect your dog’s body and why you need to protect your dogs from exposure to chocolates even in small quantity.

Chocolates are made from cocoa bean that contains a substance known as methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine) and dogs are more sensitive to this substance than humans. You will find that different variety of chocolate contains different level of methylxanthines. The darker the chocolate is, more will be the level of methylxanthines and more dangerous will be it to your dog.

The substance methylxanthines works as a stimulant that will trigger the enzyme phosphodiesterase in the body of your pet dog. This enzymes breaks down cyclic adenosine monophosphate that is responsible for regulating a number of metabolic process in their body. Humans can easily process chocolate, but the digestive system of dogs is very different from humans. It is not designed to handle this delicious treat easily. While dogs have fast metabolism and process anything that they eat much faster than humans, chocolates in their digestive system is treated much differently than most other food that they eat.

But, what happens if a dog eats chocolate?

When your dog eats chocolates in small dose, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and make them super excited. At higher doses, it can sometimes lead to nervous system dysfunction, irregular heart rhythms and even result in death in dogs with heart problems. Dogs that have chocolates quite often are also at risk of pancreatitis as chocolate contains high fat and sugar content.

One thing that we must know is that because chocolates taste good to us and we even have craves for it, does not mean that dogs appreciate it as much as we do. There is no indication that dogs find pleasure when they have chocolates just like humans do. They pretty much pay minimal attention to the pleasures of eating chocolate. While they have a far superior smell, they eat pretty fast and does not stay on their palette long enough to register the different types of food that they eat.

Most of the time, we feel like giving chocolate to our dogs only because we like it. You might have pondered over whether what they say about chocolates and dogs is true or not. But, the bad news is that the rumors are true and there are not enough good reasons for you to give to your dog.

 

 

 

Posted in pet care, Pet diet | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

How much chocolate is bad for dogs?

You might have heard people say not to give chocolate to your dogs because it is not good for them. If you had though that this was just a statement without any valid proof, you might be wrong. Recent studies show that chocolate might be toxic to dogs.

is chocolate bad for dogs?

As we all know that chocolate is made from the fruit of the tropical cocoa tree. All the chocolate that you find in the market is made of cocoa liquor and the cocoa butter that is extracted from the bean. Since the fruit or the bean is bitter, it goes through extensive process in order to become the smooth and yummy chocolate that everyone loves. All the commercial chocolate contains large amount of sugar, milk powder and milk. But, even the natural chocolate contains a number of substances, especially caffeine and theobromine. It is this theobromine that is toxic to animals, especially dogs.

While humans have the ability to metabolize the theobromine that is present in the chocolate, dogs system is not designed to do the same. Thus, the body cannot absorb the theobromine and enters the bloodstream. It remains there for as long as 20 hours leading to vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, nervousness and also excessive urination. When the dogs have excess chocolate in a day, they can also experience seizures and muscle spasms that can be fatal.

Clinical signs of chocolate poisoning will depend on the amount and the type of chocolate ingested by the dog. For most dogs, the most common signs will be excessive vomiting and diarrhea, panting or restlessness, increased thirst, racing heart rate, tremors or occasional seizures that are difficult to control. Older dogs that eat high quantity of dark chocolate are also at a risk of cardiac arrest. This may also be a possibility for dogs that already have a heart condition. If left untreated, it can lead to complications that can make its treatment much more difficult. Signs of chocolate poisoning can take many hours to develop and may stay for a number of days since theobromine can run the bloodstream for a number of days. Many times, the theobromine can be reabsorbed from the bladder that may require IV fluid and walks to get rid of. It is best to seek advice from a veterinarian if you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate.

is chocolate bad for dogs

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately note the type of chocolate eaten by the dog, estimation of the amount eaten and then call the veterinarian immediately for recommendation as to what you need to do. You might have to take your dog to them for further examination and evaluation that might not be possible at home.

You need to be careful when it comes to knowing what your dog is eating. It is best to keep your chocolates at unreachable places so that your dog cannot eat them. It is best to take preventive measure rather than risking your dog’s life.

Aside | Posted on by | Tagged , , ,