What happens if a dog eats chocolate?

You might be wondering “ what happens if a dog eats chocolate?”. How much chocolate is toxic for dogs? If you have pet dogs at home, you might know that you need to take utmost precautions about the food that they can eat. While you will find that there are many potential toxins and food stuffs that are poisonous to your dogs, one of them is chocolate that is readily available at home. Chocolates can be pretty risky especially during Christmas, Easter, Halloween or any other holidays where we find chocolates to be around everywhere one turns and also if you have children at home who loves chocolates.

What happens if a dog eats chocolate

You might have heard that chocolates can make dogs sick, but most of us do not know the reason behind it. It is important to understand how chocolate can affect your dog’s body and why you need to protect your dogs from exposure to chocolates even in small quantity.

Chocolates are made from cocoa bean that contains a substance known as methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine) and dogs are more sensitive to this substance than humans. You will find that different variety of chocolate contains different level of methylxanthines. The darker the chocolate is, more will be the level of methylxanthines and more dangerous will be it to your dog.

The substance methylxanthines works as a stimulant that will trigger the enzyme phosphodiesterase in the body of your pet dog. This enzymes breaks down cyclic adenosine monophosphate that is responsible for regulating a number of metabolic process in their body. Humans can easily process chocolate, but the digestive system of dogs is very different from humans. It is not designed to handle this delicious treat easily. While dogs have fast metabolism and process anything that they eat much faster than humans, chocolates in their digestive system is treated much differently than most other food that they eat.

But, what happens if a dog eats chocolate?

When your dog eats chocolates in small dose, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and make them super excited. At higher doses, it can sometimes lead to nervous system dysfunction, irregular heart rhythms and even result in death in dogs with heart problems. Dogs that have chocolates quite often are also at risk of pancreatitis as chocolate contains high fat and sugar content.

One thing that we must know is that because chocolates taste good to us and we even have craves for it, does not mean that dogs appreciate it as much as we do. There is no indication that dogs find pleasure when they have chocolates just like humans do. They pretty much pay minimal attention to the pleasures of eating chocolate. While they have a far superior smell, they eat pretty fast and does not stay on their palette long enough to register the different types of food that they eat.

Most of the time, we feel like giving chocolate to our dogs only because we like it. You might have pondered over whether what they say about chocolates and dogs is true or not. But, the bad news is that the rumors are true and there are not enough good reasons for you to give to your dog.

 

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in pet care, Pet diet and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s